Author Topic: i went on a hike today  (Read 147 times)

Offline robot randy

• bad boy
    • View Profile
i went on a hike today
« on: March 10, 2019, 05:42:38 pm »
It was warmer and mostly dry this week, so today I took the opportunity to enjoy the turn of weather and hike one of the trails around here. There's quite a few places to choose from with some good scenery, but I like going to Sycamore Land Trust sites because the majority of them are made up of land other people have willed to the trust solely for the purposes of hiking and enjoying nature. The preserve itself used to be used as a trash dump, and you can still see reminders of what it was used for before it was given to the trust. Also in the preserve and most of southern Indiana are several sinkholes, as a result of rainwater combining with elements in the soil, becoming slightly acidic and eating away at the layers of limestone this part of the state is situated on.

I've been to this particular preserve before, but I've only taken the shorter path. This time I went around and did the full loop.

Most evidence of the lands' previous use are plastic products and rusted scarp metals, but there are a few things here and there that have also survived over the years

Old cemetery that was marked on the map. Only two of the gravestones still had legible writing.

"JEAN ZINC DECEST THIS DAY OF APRIL 1828(?) AGED 70(?)"

"ELISEBETH ZINC DECEST MARCH YEAR 1818 BOARN MARCH 11 1776"

Following the trail towards the lakes and up into the hills. I get a real STALKER type vibe coming here, from the strange geography and scraps of garbage and refuse piled up in the more open areas. A lot of the dead vegetation all falls in the same direction, giving the appearance that some sort of nuke went of and leveled them all.

More pics to come

Powerful Bad Boys

i went on a hike today
« on: March 10, 2019, 05:42:38 pm »

Offline VelvetSphincter

• Resident Small Brain
    • View Profile
Re: i went on a hike today
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 06:59:32 pm »
I live right by a mountain and only hiked it like twice. A lot of Sonoran desert animals even fucking coyotes. saw them in a vacant lot by a QuickTrip one night. get to see bunny rabbits in my yard all the time too.

I post so much because I have no friends I post so much because I have no friends I post so much because I have no friends I post so much because I have no friends I post so much because I have no friends

Offline Mind Jelqer

• bad boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 02:37:58 am »
Sounds pretty cool. I'd never really thought of hiking through something like an old dump. When I hike I line the largest compartment of my backpack with a trash bag and pick up all the trash I see as I go along the trail.

I live kinda close to Joshua Tree and I'd like to hike there again before I move next month. Major portions of it have been shutting down on and off since last October due to all the rain we've been getting. Last time I went there we had to turn around because one of the main roads had completely collapsed. The mountain I live under now is also shut down due to rain related collapses.

I'll have to look up some hiking trails along the Interstate 10 for my travel across the country.

Offline Rich Sweet

• deserve nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 06:14:36 am »
That looks like a cool hike. The gravestones are especially interesting and the spelling is wild.

I have to thank my mom for inspiring a love of the woodlands in me. She has always loved birds and the outdoors and took me and my brother and sister along many trails in the Appalachian area. I still remember trips to Shenandoah National Park long ago. Nowadays I hike with friends almost every weekend. We’re very fortunate to live so close to the Appalachian trail and so many other mountain trails. We’ve conquered so many of them now that we have to go further away to find more challenges and I love the adventure of it. Once on a nearby trail eight eagles took flight from no more than ten feet above my head. I hadn’t even noticed them. Always when I see new birds I think of my mom who would tell us when we got home from school “I saw a bird I’ve never seen before!” and that always runs through my head and I have to tell her. I don’t see her as often now since I moved out but it’s nice to have a connection despite the distance through our love of birds and nature. I will always have this connection to her even after she is gone. In a lot of ways birds are like spirits, riding the breath of god.

Offline robot randy

• bad boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 10:25:24 am »
Sounds pretty cool. I'd never really thought of hiking through something like an old dump. When I hike I line the largest compartment of my backpack with a trash bag and pick up all the trash I see as I go along the trail.

I live kinda close to Joshua Tree and I'd like to hike there again before I move next month. Major portions of it have been shutting down on and off since last October due to all the rain we've been getting. Last time I went there we had to turn around because one of the main roads had completely collapsed. The mountain I live under now is also shut down due to rain related collapses.

I'll have to look up some hiking trails along the Interstate 10 for my travel across the country.

Joshua Tree is pretty cool. I only went there once as a kid but I've always wanted to go back. I've always loved desert environments and JT is pretty unique. Shame about the roads and the park, but it makes sense because the thought that I was gonna die in a flash flood was seared into my brain from all the warnings at ranger stations and park buildings.

That looks like a cool hike. The gravestones are especially interesting and the spelling is wild.

I have to thank my mom for inspiring a love of the woodlands in me. She has always loved birds and the outdoors and took me and my brother and sister along many trails in the Appalachian area. I still remember trips to Shenandoah National Park long ago. Nowadays I hike with friends almost every weekend. We’re very fortunate to live so close to the Appalachian trail and so many other mountain trails. We’ve conquered so many of them now that we have to go further away to find more challenges and I love the adventure of it. Once on a nearby trail eight eagles took flight from no more than ten feet above my head. I hadn’t even noticed them. Always when I see new birds I think of my mom who would tell us when we got home from school “I saw a bird I’ve never seen before!” and that always runs through my head and I have to tell her. I don’t see her as often now since I moved out but it’s nice to have a connection despite the distance through our love of birds and nature. I will always have this connection to her even after she is gone. In a lot of ways birds are like spirits, riding the breath of god.

Appalachia is really nice. Even driving through it to go to Snowshoe WV was one of the most breathtaking trips I've been on. On the way back from one me and the wife drove through Monongaehla Natl Forest, and it was just incredible. Definitely planning on taking a trip there before too long.

Got a few more pics, switched to Google photos since the imgur upload kept giving me problems.

First real sinkhole and it's quite a large one.

Area in the bottom of the depression. There were quite a few places where water would flow to the bottom of a hill and appear on the other side. Very cool.

Another sinkhole.

Small outcropping of mossy rocks I found. Thought it looked pretty cool.

My phone that I was using as a camera ended up dying about halfway through my hike, so there's a few shots that I'll need to go back and get. There's a few pics I've left out that are in the full gallery here, I'm planning on  uploading a few more tonight as well.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KnYzoCT4gKjmfetd6

« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 10:32:22 am by robot randy »

Offline robot randy

• bad boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 10:26:58 am »
Well, fuck. I gotta run to work and don't have time to fix what google fucked up. Just look through the gallery at the bottom of my last post and match up pictures w descriptions that make sense

Offline Rich Sweet

• deserve nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 11:35:12 am »
If you’re gonna do a day hike in the Appalachian region do Dragon’s Tooth or Old Rag. If you want a less popular trail do Chimney Top

Offline Mind Jelqer

• bad boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 05:46:50 pm »
If you’re gonna do a day hike in the Appalachian region do Dragon’s Tooth or Old Rag. If you want a less popular trail do Chimney Top

I'll hit Chimney Tops once I'm settled in NC.

Powerful Bad Boys

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 05:46:50 pm »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2019, SimplePortal