Author Topic: Ideas for what to do during a gap year  (Read 121 times)

Offline PunchingArianaGrande

• bad baby
    • View Profile
Ideas for what to do during a gap year
« on: March 19, 2019, 08:34:16 am »
What tha title says. I graduate from college in May, then I'm taking a year out before doing any sort of further study / "real" work.
I'll obviously be getting a part time job, what exactly that is could depend on whether I want work experience relevant to whatever my degree will be.
Beyond that, my current plan involves:
Getting my driver's licence
Taking a public speaking course
Going to the gym 5x / week

That's all I have now though. Not looking to be told what to do with my life, just wondering if there's any things that would be worth doing while I have the opportunity. E.g. any skills to learn (life or work skills, doesn't matter) classes to take, things to do in general...

I want wisdom from seasoned fellas, especially anyone who's done something like this before. Or anyone who is planning something similar in the future and has good ideas.
Thanks 8) :)

Powerful Bad Boys

Ideas for what to do during a gap year
« on: March 19, 2019, 08:34:16 am »

Offline UnverifiedPost

• Smoker
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for what to do during a gap year
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 08:39:07 am »
What are you studying in college? Or is American college just a general studies kind of thing?
Who am I to judge? I am not God. I am the Damned.

• bad baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 08:47:49 am »
I ain't in the states.
Studying psychology. It is generally frowned upon but in terms of getting into masters degrees, it's one of the better options out there. I was never one for the STEM world so a careers advisor suggested it to me.

Offline UnverifiedPost

• Smoker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 09:43:35 am »
I ain't in the states.
Studying psychology. It is generally frowned upon but in terms of getting into masters degrees, it's one of the better options out there. I was never one for the STEM world so a careers advisor suggested it to me.

My apologies for assuming you’re an Amerimutt... :^/

I was just wondering to get an idea of some stuff that might help in the context of your studies. Unfortunately my suggestions are quite obvious. Find/come up with a psychology/relevant literature reading list and go through that. Furthermore, it might be wise to practice your analytical writing in jotting down your thoughts on these readings. You could also practice this with anything, for example, writing responses to news articles or whatever interests you. This, of course, is assuming you’re interested in futher persual of psychology and academia.

What kind of ideas do you have if you were to get a real job?
Who am I to judge? I am not God. I am the Damned.

• bad baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 10:06:24 am »
That's a good idea. Not sure if I'll pursue further studies in psychology but would be wise to stay sharp & used to the academic style. Definitely don't want to work in academia, just because I'm not a fan of research, but there's a good chance I'll be doing further study in some area.
As for a *real* job, I was considering something in "the biz", i.e. TV / film. I've a relative who has worked for various production companies so I have a good enough connection in that sense, he said he could hook me up. As pozzed as the industry is, I still think I'd prefer it to a more typical office job. Otherwise I'm still researching my options.

Powerful Bad Boys

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 10:06:24 am »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2019, SimplePortal