Author Topic: Any Rim World Badboys?  (Read 227 times)

Offline sentient_cumsock

• 3am backyard tourist
    • View Profile
Any Rim World Badboys?
« on: February 22, 2019, 09:28:19 am »
I've been doing a more extensive and agressive playthrough than usual. I decided to start with Naked Brutality, then do seasonal migrations towards the Ship on the other end of the world. I almost lost my starting pawn, Lewis, through a case of plague very early in the game, but he pulled through just barely. I rewarded his endurance by allowing him to snort some coke that had fallen in a drop pod previously.

Things have been building up at this point in the game - the raids are getting harder and I'm accumulating a good amount of wealth, however, I've also lost a few pawns due to raids. This doesn't usually happen as I'm often quite conservative in my playstyle, but I decided to take more risks this time to see what would happen - after all, the game is a story generator, and especially so on permadeath mode.

In particular, I lost Frankie, one of my best social and fighting pawns, to a raid. He was married to Dax, then broke up with her and married Knauss. He also lost most of his vision in his left eye when some angry boars swarmed him on a hunt, before finally losing the eye itself to a Tribal arrow during a subsequent raid. Yet another raid led to him being downed and kidnapped by a group of sappers who breached my Eastern wall, fragged my wind turbines, and made it into the hydroponics farm before finally giving up and leaving.

As it stands, I'm waiting for winter to end so I can tear down the base for components and head off to the Ship for my final escape. Here is the base currently:

Powerful Bad Boys

Any Rim World Badboys?
« on: February 22, 2019, 09:28:19 am »

Offline VelvetSphincter

• Resident Small Brain
    • View Profile
Re: Any Rim World Badboys?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 01:53:13 pm »
I played dwarf fortress on and off. A simpler version of that game should be fun.

I post so much because I have no friends I post so much because I have no friends I post so much because I have no friends I post so much because I have no friends I post so much because I have no friends

Offline VelvetSphincter

• Resident Small Brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 06:03:30 pm »
How do you get pawns to harvest crops? I mark them, but they fucking never listen

I post so much because I have no friends I post so much because I have no friends I post so much because I have no friends I post so much because I have no friends I post so much because I have no friends

Offline sentient_cumsock

• 3am backyard tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 11:10:19 pm »
How do you get pawns to harvest crops? I mark them, but they fucking never listen

You need to adjust their work priorities so that the first thing they do is plant cut. Work priorities are graduated left to right by default - the first available task marked with [1] is done first, followed by the next available task marked [1]. A pawn will skip over any tasks marked [2] to get to the next task marked [1], followed by doing the [2] tasks in order, and finally [3] tasks.

If your growing/plantcutting pawns are busy doing a higher default priority task such as cooking or wardening, then they will skip growing and plant cutting and sink all their work time into the higher priority tasks. Similarly, if your growing/plantcutting pawns have plantcutting marked with a lower priority than a task further down the list, they will skip plantcutting and move to the tasked marked with a higher number.

Basically, you need to make sure that there's nothing prioritized that would divert them away from their plantcutting work.

Offline VelvetSphincter

• Resident Small Brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 10:53:21 am »
Ive been doing that, must need to reorder it. Anyway to find maps with fertile land in the center? I wanna make crack/flake farms.

Offline sentient_cumsock

• 3am backyard tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 02:34:17 pm »
Ive been doing that, must need to reorder it. Anyway to find maps with fertile land in the center? I wanna make crack/flake farms.

reddit.com/r/RimWorldSeeds/

Fertile soil usually occurs in tracts that are scattered around the map; it's rare to find it right in the middle, but psychoid's longer growth time negates the time lost by growers commuting to most of the soil patches. It's often just as effective to plant massive crops of psychoid in normal soil, then harvest it seasonally using a team of several skilled/passionate growers. In colder biomes/seasons, use hydroponics to grow your crops - a single grow light can produce enough food to feed a colony of eight when set up efficiently:

Note that for food, rice is much more efficient to grow hydroponically compared to potatoes - lower fertility sensitivity means potatoes gain less from the boosted grow rate of the hydroponics basin. Psychoid plants have a fertility sensitivity of 1, so they gain the full 230% growth speed boost from hydroponics.

Also, starting a drug farming operation is a fast track to massive wealth - which means that the raids will get more dangerous more quickly. Make sure you're improving your base's defenses, doubling up your walls, researching defensive tech, making weapons and armor, buying exotic weapons and artifacts on your drug caravans, and recruiting skilled fighters.

Offline robot randy

• bad boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 08:51:21 pm »
rimworld nver managed to grab me like dwarf fortress did. also a bad boy succession fort of df would be pretty cool if there's enough people interested

Offline VelvetSphincter

• Resident Small Brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 09:18:21 pm »
How do you get new people in your rimjob? do I have to make caravans?

Offline sentient_cumsock

• 3am backyard tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 02:34:13 am »
How do you get new people in your rimjob? do I have to make caravans?

There are a bunch of ways you can get new pawns. Sometimes it's a random event, like a wanderer joining or a chased refugee seeking protection from a raiding group. Sometimes you'll get a stranded refugee quest, where you form a caravan and go to rescue someone who will join your colony, though you might get ambushed when you attempt to help them. Often, you can capture downed enemy raiders, patch them up, and recruit them using a warden with a good social skill level. Recruitment can take anywhere from a few days to over a season, depending on warden skill and prisoner resistance. You can also buy pawns from slave traders and some settlements, which costs around 1000 - 1500 silver.

Offline VelvetSphincter

• Resident Small Brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 10:16:32 am »
Why does it have to be so complicated? In dwarf fortress they just show up.

Powerful Bad Boys

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 10:16:32 am »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2019, SimplePortal