Author Topic: Does anyone here do white collar work?  (Read 186 times)

Offline Krush Jeanjacket

• What's it to you, punk?
    • View Profile
Does anyone here do white collar work?
« on: June 14, 2019, 10:13:19 am »
I feel like most people who post in these circles have the same jobs as the dudes in project mayhem from fight club... If you work in an office, tell me what it's like and if you're team Jim or team Dwight  ;D

Powerful Bad Boys

Does anyone here do white collar work?
« on: June 14, 2019, 10:13:19 am »

Offline VelvetSphincter

• Resident Small Brain
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone here do white collar work?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 12:49:48 pm »
I would love to work in an office. I've been doing material handling jobs for the past 3 years. I'd love a boring desk job where I sit around and pretend to look busy. Wouldn't worry about breaking my back

I post so much because I have no friends I post so much because I have no friends I post so much because I have no friends I post so much because I have no friends I post so much because I have no friends

Offline Lucid

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 12:19:12 am »
I just recently started a job at a tech company in the Seattle area. Tech companies seem to try and keep a startup-ey laid back veneer over everything, even if they're well established companies and at the end of the day it's still. It's not too bad though. It pays well and the break room fridges are always stocked with beer and food. That and having some likeable guys in my office keep me from going full Cboyardee Dilbert 2 mode.

Offline robot randy

• bad boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 11:33:15 pm »
i think you mean dilbert 3 you fuckin nubnard

Offline PunchingArianaGrande

• bad baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 09:22:46 am »
I would love to work in an office. I've been doing material handling jobs for the past 3 years. I'd love a boring desk job where I sit around and pretend to look busy. Wouldn't worry about breaking my back

I got an interview for a 9-5 factory job for the summer. It was in a chocolate factory so I thought it would be a Willy Wonka dream, putting chocolates in boxes, but the guy interviewing for it was a built eastern european who was basically telling me how shit it is working there. Even if I get it I think I'll just say no thanks and hope some of my other applications come through. I've started to realise how physically and mentally crushing it could be to take on a job like that.

Offline Mind Jelqer

• bad boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 12:36:09 pm »
The soul crushing factory and warehouse type jobs can be real as fuck. Coming in to work can feel like you've stepped into a third world country sweatshop. I've never done white collar work, but I imagine it doesn't matter what you're doing to end up here. Work at a warehouse and feel like you're goin' nuts and break your body with intense labor. Work at an office and fuck up your body and mind by sitting at a computer all day, gaining weight and worrying about your boss firing you because you finish your entire day of work in two hours. You can still see everything at your shitty job for what it is and become a burnt out schizoposter.

I'm at a point in my life right now where I will say yes to almost any opportunity just for the chance to have a story to tell about it. Just made fifty bucks for an hour of odd job work this morning. I've been networking myself with basically every old rich person in this city thanks to my current job. If I got an offer to work white collar and the pay was decent I'd say yes. I kinda like the idea of wearing some nice tailored dress clothes like all the gay old men who come by my work.

Offline 0_-

• My Wife is Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 10:06:53 pm »
I used to work at Walmart overnights more than half a decade ago, I think the reason the politicians try to make everything about race is because then they don't have to address the problem of low wage niggers. People work themselves to the bone for next to nothing and the managers etc don't care about injuries. I've worked with people who couldn't speak english, and other people who reeked of vodka. Other drugged up psychos who talked about how big they were gonna make it in music.

I've had forklifts almost run my feet over. Or hands almost getting caught in mechanical workings etc. Co-workers who don't care that they are threatening each others livlihoods by gravely injuring each other with this machinery that exists only to improve corporate profits.

So just talk about the disadvantaged black all the time, never ever give the story about the working conditions of the minimum wage white niggers working at Walmart. Anything but that. If you throw out your back lifting a wooden pallet, you're on your own.

It taught me not to take better jobs for granted. It taught me the value of a quarter. How hard you have to work with these low wage jobs just to make 25 cents. A true hellscape where the daily channel is to get through the day struggling not to say "I quit", for months on end.
High Intellect, Low Income (Angry)

"If thou wilt receive profit, read with humility, simplicity, and faith, and seek not at any time the fame of being learned."

https://inspirobot.me/mindfulnessmode

Offline Mind Jelqer

• bad boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 12:07:15 am »
Damn, dude. This hits hard. My experience was a little different because I was one of only several white people working at the warehouses, so I came out really just caring more about all the wagies. We all got fucked and ground up to nothing at one point or another. I wanted us all to make it. I was like the cheerleader and therapist for some of the guys. I had coworkers who were homeless. One lived in a tent in a vacant lot not far from the warehouse until the cops came and smashed it up. I had guys telling me they wanted to kill themselves and shit, showing me their scars from people who were STILL physically abusing them. Some of them seemed like they were doing this wageslave life because they were trapped in some sort of an arrested development. A lot of them revealed to me that they were abused in different ways as kids.

On several occasions grown-ass men cried in front of me because they didn't want to live this kind of life anymore, but no longer had the will or energy to go for something better. We were all so similar. After the delirious and insanely hot 12 hour shifts, getting taxed 20% of our income, and driving an hour to get home those guys were like battle brothers.

I remember walking with two coworkers from lunch. One of them was trying to quit coke for good and was having a rough time. He said, "Why do we even bother."

The other guy said, "We got kids, man."

My coke addicted coworker got fired a couple days later for being blatantly high as shit on the job. It was better that he wasn't around us anymore. He endangered us all and never carried his own weight, but that kinda stuff still killed me inside. Drug addiction was one of the biggest problems.

And you're right, a lot the guys operating machinery were even more crazy. I don't know why but something about them was always even more fucked. I don't get why they were chosen for promotion. A lot of them crashed into shit multiple times a day and had their lifts forced to shut down from the impact sensors, so it wasn't even like they could hide it. I would find airplane bottles of fireball and shit in the stacks of pallets they would move, and there was a black market of cigarettes that some of them took part in, acting as dealers. I'm pretty sure they got the cigs cheap from nearby Indian reservations and then just sold them for normal prices.

Offline VelvetSphincter

• Resident Small Brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 01:36:39 am »

I got an interview for a 9-5 factory job for the summer. It was in a chocolate factory so I thought it would be a Willy Wonka dream, putting chocolates in boxes, but the guy interviewing for it was a built eastern european who was basically telling me how shit it is working there. Even if I get it I think I'll just say no thanks and hope some of my other applications come through. I've started to realise how physically and mentally crushing it could be to take on a job like that.

I'm working at the local newspaper on the sorting machine now. its only been 2 days, but I'm enjoying it so far. If the paper industry wasn't in a steep very noticeable decline I'd probably work their til retirement.

I post so much because I have no friends I post so much because I have no friends I post so much because I have no friends I post so much because I have no friends I post so much because I have no friends

Offline Krush Jeanjacket

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 09:32:33 pm »
Well boys, got my wish. No more milling lumber, time to sell credit cards over the phone lol

The other guy said, "We got kids, man."

My coke addicted coworker got fired a couple days later for being blatantly high as shit on the job. It was better that he wasn't around us anymore. He endangered us all and never carried his own weight, but that kinda stuff still killed me inside. Drug addiction was one of the biggest problems.

I'm pretty young, but I worked in a well-known restaurant in my area for a couple years. Every single employee harbored some sort of addiction, top to bottom. One guy was only a few years older than me, already had a three year old daughter, and was an alcoholic. He'd drink on the job constantly. I rarely talked to him because it spooked me how similar we were. We played Secret of Mana. We liked Dragon Ball. We were excited for the new Smash Bros. Only difference is he was in the army at one point, idk how he wound up there. Funniest guy of the whole staff, it'd be nice to talk to him again someday.

Offline Mind Jelqer

• bad boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 10:04:54 pm »
Addiction is fucked. I feel like most of the young people I encounter are gripped by some sort of bullshit. They're all so open about it too. A lot of them play it off like it's fun and they're just partying, but they'll straight up admit that they are truly addicted.

I want to meet somebody who has actually read a book in the last year. I sometimes skip meals and stay up late to read more. That's the closest thing I have to a vice now.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 10:09:26 pm by Mind Jelqer »

Offline 0_-

• My Wife is Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2019, 10:29:30 pm »
Addiction is fucked. I feel like most of the young people I encounter are gripped by some sort of bullshit. They're all so open about it too. A lot of them play it off like it's fun and they're just partying, but they'll straight up admit that they are truly addicted.

I want to meet somebody who has actually read a book in the last year. I sometimes skip meals and stay up late to read more. That's the closest thing I have to a vice now.

I am proud to say that in the last couple of weeks I went to the bookstore and bought 100 dollars worth of books in the last couple of weeks, and I'm halfway through one of them (Sam's recommendations, Scott adams book on how I failed and something or other). I will finish it and I continue to read a bit every day. Reading itself is a form of procasination, as I avoid programming. But I'm actually going to be able to say that I read a book in the last year, and I'm excited about that, I think it can be the start of something great.

"If thou wilt receive profit, read with humility, simplicity, and faith, and seek not at any time the fame of being learned."

Offline Mind Jelqer

• bad boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2019, 10:46:09 pm »
That's cool. I don't want to be one of those fags that always preaches about how reading is the ultimate medium. There are a lot of shitty books, and for some people it's just not their thing. But damn. I want to talk about books with somebody.

My work had very old and very well preserved leather bound copies of Faust and Candide and a bunch of other shit in a big collection for probably 1/4 what they were really worth. I was saving up to buy them and dis silly hoe asks me to find some books she bought for her. When I realized what ones she was getting I told her she was lucky to be getting them. She just goes, "Oh are they good books? I'm not going to actually read them. They just look pretty and I need some for decoration."

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

I'm currently wrapping up The Black Company and The Way of Men. I just finished reading Mistborn for research in fantasy writing. It was fun. Kinda like Ocean's 11 but with swords and magic. I also liked the discussions on religion in it. Brandon Sanderson is a Mormon and apparently a lot of people find it strange that a Mormon would be such a prolific fantasy writer. I'm probably gonna read the first The Shadow of the Torturer book soon. Charls suggested it a long time ago. Gene Wolfe is a great author.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 10:49:00 pm by Mind Jelqer »

Offline 0_-

• My Wife is Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2019, 11:20:07 pm »
Well at the end of the day its the content of the books that is the important part. Especially if you can learn how to create the scientific conditions for meditation, and meditate upon them. For example my copy of Faust is pretty plain, just a Pigeon books copy I got from a bookstore going out of business, but the content itself is valuble.

I mean a lot of the books I read right now are about business and hustling, but the collection I have is pretty phenomenal from a perspective of philosophy, or occultism, or psychology, mysticism, whatever you want to call it.

I have found some very underpriced gems. I found a copy of Thomas a Kempis's Imitation of Christ from like 1909 for something like 20 dollars, which is absoloutely absurd. Someone buys and maintains a book for you for over 110 years and you can have that for the price of a big mac meal. And the medtiation value of that book is just obscene.

Offline Krush Jeanjacket

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2019, 08:40:48 pm »
Update on my sales rep job... I unironically love this shit so far. My coworkers are really supportive and my boss is great. I'm adapting to the workflow quickly and meeting my call quota so far. It also feels nice to dress for the job Reviewbrah style even though I don't technically have to. Guess spending my formative years interacting with people I'll probably never meet IRL has prepared me for this role.

Powerful Bad Boys

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2019, 08:40:48 pm »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2019, SimplePortal