Author Topic: How would you live if you were homeless?  (Read 122 times)

Offline 0_-

• My Wife is Asian
    • View Profile
How would you live if you were homeless?
« on: June 24, 2019, 12:56:45 am »
My idea would be for a crap weather place with bad winters. Basically you'd find some place in the forest with a reasonably short and good path, but for whatever reason is nearly impossible to find for people, maybe it's inaccessible without your rope and metal ladder, or what have you. It has good drainage, an empty space in the middle that is surrounded by trees. You walk out of there and you are practically in the city, on some trail that leads to the gym (showers, working out), grocery stores, and a place of employment.

Now the difficult part here would be the requirement for some sort of platform off the ground and there is no way around this other than building a patio style platform. You need a solid place to build off of, you need to stay off the ground to insulate you from the cold, etc. This is where a lot of your building budget would be spent.

The rest of it would be very experimental. I'd want to try and find a way to make a warm insulated room for as cheap as possible. It's basically just for sleeping and browsing your phone, the rest of the time you spend working.

Like, could you make roof tiles from these?

Could you make a basic frame for the room with 550 ft/p strength paracord?

Could you wrap it in so many garbage bags, duck tape and bubble foam that it would eventually be as warm as a house? If its not warm enough you just keep on wrapping more and more layers. Eventually it would have to get warm with all the air pockets.

Roof would be tricky because you need something hefty that doesn't blow off. a ton of paracord and a tarp might suffice.

Could insects burrow through the plastic? If so you could do a layer of aluminum foil.

The idea is that you set up a hammock inside of it, and you have a ton of warm wool blankets, and you are completely warm in the worse blizzard, and in the summer its tolerable and insects aren't getting in there, at all.

Anyways thats always been fascinating to me, the idea of using all these cheap sorts of materials to try and zerg your way into a living situation. Its so cheap that if you actually figure out something that works well, you can expand cheaply, and you could just have a spider nest style house spreading across the forest floor.

Of course maybe I'm complicating crap, there is this guy:

High Intellect, Low Income (Angry)

"If thou wilt receive profit, read with humility, simplicity, and faith, and seek not at any time the fame of being learned."

https://inspirobot.me/mindfulnessmode

Powerful Bad Boys

How would you live if you were homeless?
« on: June 24, 2019, 12:56:45 am »

Offline VelvetSphincter

• Resident Small Brain
    • View Profile
Re: How would you live if you were homeless?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 11:41:05 pm »
Move to san francisco and set a public defication record

I post so much because I have no friends I post so much because I have no friends I post so much because I have no friends I post so much because I have no friends I post so much because I have no friends

Online Lucid

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 12:44:51 am »
Move to the woods with my eagle scout training, pitch a tent next to a lake with lots of fish, and figure out how I'm going to survive the winter.

Offline VelvetSphincter

• Resident Small Brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 12:29:40 pm »
Honestly anyone considering living off the grid? Hearing about drag queen dads on the news is making me contemplate going captain fantastic mode once I get my shit together.

I post so much because I have no friends I post so much because I have no friends I post so much because I have no friends I post so much because I have no friends I post so much because I have no friends

Offline PunchingArianaGrande

• bad baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 12:37:21 pm »
Honestly anyone considering living off the grid? Hearing about drag queen dads on the news is making me contemplate going captain fantastic mode once I get my shit together.

It's appealing if you love camping, nature, being cozy inside when it's raining.. etc. And you don't have to be responsible for anyone but yourself. The worries of the world could slip away. After a while it's conceivable that it you could be in a meditative state almost all the time, just focusing on basic, physical work in silence. The thing is, you'd still need money, and unless you had a couple hundred grand saved, you could be stuck. I've always liked the idea of it but the real dream for me is having a nice wife & kids in a nice, quiet neighborhood away from the city, a job I like, and a good lifestyle. Living off the grid would only happen if I went crazy and had no chance of achieving a good life within the grid.

Offline negativejelq

• bad boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 07:00:44 pm »
1. move somewhere warm.
2. find the cheapest gym with showers.
3. get a girlfriend who could help me get back on my feet.

Offline Krush Jeanjacket

• What's it to you, punk?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 08:08:07 pm »
I only have "go off the grid/become homeless and drop out of society" fantasies when I'm deeply depressed. I'd probably move to florida and spend my last dime on a houseboat and become a drug dealer or something... I also fantasized about tricking out a schoolbus with books and video games and shit, driving it innawoods somehow and braving the harsh new england winters with a wood stove, getting a hunting dog, and setting up a squatrack outside so I can die ripped, learned, and completely isolated

1. move somewhere warm.
2. find the cheapest gym with showers.
3. get a girlfriend who could help me get back on my feet.

The only correct answer

Offline Rich Sweet

• deserve nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 10:00:42 pm »
I’d live out of my Cherokee. The back seat folds down so I can lie all the way down straight and the roof is high enough I can sit all the way up. Lots of room for gear and clothes and whatever I need and it’s low key looking and old and beat up so I have the stealth mode and unlikely to get broken into. Moving north this fall and planning on living like this for a while until I can establish a residence

Powerful Bad Boys

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 10:00:42 pm »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2019, SimplePortal