Author Topic: Any other unironic Kingdom Hearts fans here?  (Read 202 times)

Offline MommyBuster69

• Resident Small Brain
    • View Profile
Any other unironic Kingdom Hearts fans here?
« on: February 23, 2019, 08:09:01 pm »
Got a ps4 with my tax return to play the third one. Hope they add more content to it. It's pretty lacking, I beat the secret boss twice already.

Powerful Bad Boys

Any other unironic Kingdom Hearts fans here?
« on: February 23, 2019, 08:09:01 pm »

Offline Lucid

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Any other unironic Kingdom Hearts fans here?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 01:00:52 am »
I've played every single game in the series, even re:coded, COM and 358 og versions but I haven't played 3 yet. Pretty worried from what everyone is telling me.

Offline MommyBuster69

• Resident Small Brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 01:04:25 am »
It's pretty good my only problem is lack of end game content, but they will probably add more of it as DLC in place of a final mix. How is days, and OG com? I emulated coded, but it was ugly as heck, and I stopped. might try it on actual hardware.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 01:07:00 am by VelvetSphincter »

Offline Lucid

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 02:31:34 am »
I think Days was the peak of story telling when it comes to characters in the KH series. I legitimately got invested in the story of Axel, Roxas and Xion and how everything unfolded with them, I get really bummed every time I pick up KHii now knowing what happens to Roxas. The game is definitely limited by the hardware it came out on and the mission based format can get super repetitive. Not to mention every single level is a scaled down retread of a level from either KH1 or 2 (which is my biggest gripe with COM and Coded as well). But I think a lot of the impact of the characters got lost in translation between the game and the cutscene compilation in the HD collection, even though the full voice acting is nice. Anyway, I hear there's a bit of a payoff in 3 when it comes to the Days trio so I'm excited for that once I get around to playing it.

As for COM, it was actually my first KH game since I didn't have a PS2. The card mechanic is intersting, I think the deck building stuff and chaining cards together was a really cool idea. The disney worlds themselves are kind of boring since, again, it's a retread the KH1 worlds but with even less plot and randomly generated, generic rooms. I think the game worked a lot better on a GBA than on the PS2. I played the PS2 remake recently and it just didn't hold any of the same charm as the GBA one. The fully animated and voice acted cutscenes are nice, but the really pretty sprite based graphics of the GBA one is just a lot more interesting than the recycled KH1 assets in the remake. And I honestly think the music and atmosphere in the original was way better. It's absolutely stellar, has a great sense of mystery and intrigue. Listening to the Castle Oblivion theme while watching the characters slowly get their memories tampered with as they head further into the heart of the castle is super spooky. I think that atmosphere was completely lost in the PS2 version. Maybe it's the way the music is so compressed on the GBA but the music really haunting, the PS2 just kind of sounds hollow.

Neither of them are perfect games by any means, they can get dull and repetitive for a lot of people, especially people who have played the first 2 numbered titles a lot because all of the locations are just rehashed, but I think they're worth taking a look at still, even if just for a little bit. As for re:coded, I thought it was fun when I played with, but it's completely forgettable.

GBA:

PS2:

« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 02:34:07 am by Ryan »

Offline MommyBuster69

• Resident Small Brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 04:27:00 am »
I'm playing Kingdom Hearts 1 right now. Honestly, it doesn't feel as good after spending so much time in 3, and I fucked up the stats too because I picked the sword over the shield. now I can't parry for shit.

Offline Lucid

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 10:37:45 pm »
I played kh1 a long time ago and I was total ass at it. I didn't realize there was more to it then just pressing the x button and healing when my health bar got low. I didn't realize until I played very recently that there were tons of ability upgrades for all the characters and different mechanics to help in combat? Was a lot of this stuff not put in until Final Mix or was I just stupid?

Offline MommyBuster69

• Resident Small Brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 12:01:51 am »
All final mix added was new bosses, items and enemies.

Powerful Bad Boys

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 12:01:51 am »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2019, SimplePortal