Author Topic: Late 60s Beach Boys  (Read 114 times)

Offline VelvetSphincter

• Resident Small Brain
    • View Profile
Late 60s Beach Boys
« on: February 24, 2019, 12:48:04 am »

« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 01:12:28 pm by ralph »

I post so much because I have no friends I post so much because I have no friends I post so much because I have no friends I post so much because I have no friends I post so much because I have no friends

Powerful Bad Boys

Late 60s Beach Boys
« on: February 24, 2019, 12:48:04 am »

Offline UnverifiedPost

• Smoker
    • View Profile
Re: Late 60s Beach Boys
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 01:01:37 am »
Pet Sounds is the greatest Pop album of all time.
Who am I to judge? I am not God. I am the Damned.

Offline aswillandrepresentation

• i make poopy in my pants
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 12:37:33 am »
classic schitzo-core

mark prindle review:

The ACRA File Service runs as a Windows service on [machine] which is located on premises on server [machine]. The service is scheduled to run every ten minutes. When the Windows service runs, it calls a Web service to obtain a list of offices to obtain lockbox files for, Location A where new lockbox files reside, Location B where all lockbox files are archived, and Location C where to send the file for each office. The Windows service then calls the Coverall.Lib.clsFilesystem.sub_CopyNoDupesOrOld method which copies any files in Location A, that do not already exist in Location B (the method uses the Coverall.Lib.clsFileSystem.fn_bFilesEqual_Binary method to binary compare Location A files against any Location B files of the same size that are newer than 30 days), to Location C. The files are then archived (moved from Location A to Location B). If you receive this message, your hard drive has been erased.
"Don't sit around on your ass - smokin' grass. That stuff went out a long time ago!" That is the SECOND LINE on this LP. This REJECTED LP. This BRILLIANT, HILARIOUS, MORONIC REJECTED LP. Don't think I'm trying to be hipster by giving a rejected album a 9. But also don't think that this is a serious album to be seriously hunted down and listened to with serious ears like (I Don't Wanna Be Buried In A) Pet Sounds (-atary). This is mid-70s Brian Wilson we're discussing. He was a loon, see. But a FUN loon! A fun loon out to make himself and others as happy as possible under the sad circumstances. And the person who can listen to any given 10 seconds of this album without getting a big mocking grin on their face is an unpleasant, hurtful person who should be framed for murder and hung from the injection chair. Here's why:

It's a full-blown Vegas extravaganza! A musical festival of overblown show tunes with violins and horn sections for dancing with a cane and crooning in a tux! Cover tunes include "Deep Purple," "On Broadway" and "Shortening Bread," all performed with complete tongue-in-cheek sincerity (if that's possible. If not, shut it). Originals (or what I assume are originals - I might be wrong, and I admit that, as there are no songwriting credits on this bootleg disc) include "Life Is For Living" (the one that mentions doobs), "Help Is On The Way," (with its uproariously phrased opening verse, "Stark naked in front of my mirror/A pudgy person somehow did appear/Seems lately all I've eatin's sugar and fat/It's gettin' obvious that's not where it's at!"), the sickeningly sexist "Hey Tomboy," in which the band converts a tomboy into a GIRL ("Okay, put on a little lipstick, let's see what it looks like" - "Now let's put on a dress and some makeup!" - "Okay, now shave your legs for the first time!"), the out-and-out PATHETIC "Games Two Can Play" (in which Brian, in all seriousness, recites the verse "Joe South was singing `Games People Play'/ And I like to play games that two can play!") and "Still I Dream Of It," an honestly beautiful old person-style ballad he wrote in hopes that Sinatra or Davis Jr. would sing it. Neither would - THEIR LOSS. Fantastic song! And, like every other track on here, impossible to hear without imagining overweight bearded Brian standing on stage in a lounge, walking back and forth in front of the orchestra with mic in hand, singing with an eye on the stars, mesmerizing the audience with his dapper moves and manly yet sensitive delivery.

But the record company rejected it. A friend of mine suggested that they probably just didn't want to follow up the goofy children's songs of Love You with an equally bizarre attempt to convert America's Favorite Beach Music Nostalgia Guys into "Bri Wilson and the Big Beach Band - Live! At the Palamino Club. NUDE WOMEN! LIVE SEX SHOWS!" If that's the case, the record company can take a cue from Rick Dees and "Eat My Shorts."

It's impossible to believe even for a second that the album wouldn't have bombed miserably and been ripped apart by critics had it seen official release at the time. But 25 years on, this stuff sounds really really REALLY good. No fears or worries, no anxiety or terrorism. No hateful, evil Palestinians and Iraqis spreading fear and pain around the globe while George Bush's America waves banners of peace, sends over airplanes filled with emissaries of hope, and works day and night to create a global community of togetherness and understanding for all of humanity. Just straight, obvious, bullshit entertainment for old people like me, I'm 29.

Powerful Bad Boys

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 12:37:33 am »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2019, SimplePortal