Author Topic: Personal documentaries  (Read 90 times)

Offline franktjmaxx

• rad boy
    • View Profile
Personal documentaries
« on: July 31, 2019, 10:14:38 pm »
Idubbbz just dropped an hour long video on this guy named airsoftfatty, a fat fuck from Michigan who would film himself doing light saber battles and making disgusting meals. Idubbbz flew out to him and talked with him to make a little documentary about him. After watching it i got to thinking about "personal documentaries" or documentaries about a particular person, how they feel and what they do. As a genre its been around as long as documentaries have been but i think its recently risen to prominence in online circles because people raised online have intimate experience with autistic weirdos. Like the trappped vids with his brother hampow or gothic king cobra. And theyre so interesting because theres something relatable to them, esp people from the MDE circle and related content spheres. They also have low barrier of entry where all you really have to do is go, shoot, talk, edit and the end result is a legitimtae piece of art. Another recent example would be Nathan For You: Finding Frances, which i think is legitimately one of the best works of video/film/tv/whatever to come out in the last several years (sidenote i wish there was a word that just refers to videos/tv/movies. i was gonna use media but thats too general and just video doesnt really refer to tv and film). Another good one from a while ago would be Grizzly Man by Werner Herzog.

There's such a depth to some of this shit online. You can go on a dive through random youtube channels and discover all these gems and get some meaning out of it, but ultimately you have to really sell it with a documentary style coating for it to be discovered and appreciated by others. Really makes you think. Anyway we can make this a general documentary thread too if we want, always enjoy a good doc

Powerful Bad Boys

Personal documentaries
« on: July 31, 2019, 10:14:38 pm »

Offline franktjmaxx

• rad boy
    • View Profile
Re: Personal documentaries
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 10:15:29 pm »

heres the idubbbz vid

Offline Mind Jelqer

• bad boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 11:08:40 pm »
I've recently started asking my friends to tell me their stories so I can write them down and fictionalize the funniest or most interesting parts for short stories. I feel like when I use these people's stories I'm sort of increasing the potential of memetically immortalizing them, even if I'm just using them for part of one scene. I'm a complete amateur. I never went to school to learn how to write and I'm considering picking up some journalism basics so I can get better at interviewing people. I kind of want to start talking to people I don't know. These kinds of documentaries really grip me because of how hyper focused they are on such strange people. I love them and I really should watch more. I'ma check this one out tomorrow probably.

Offline MommyBuster69

• Resident Small Brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 01:49:35 am »
I have a hard time trusting documentaries after I saw blackfish. I feel like they are all trying to indoctrinate me.

Offline Mind Jelqer

• bad boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 11:57:04 pm »
I have a hard time trusting documentaries after I saw blackfish. I feel like they are all trying to indoctrinate me.

This is just about some strange guy and his friends tho. It's pretty straightforward.

Offline MommyBuster69

• Resident Small Brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 12:34:36 am »
yeah I know. I just mean in general

Powerful Bad Boys

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 12:34:36 am »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2019, SimplePortal